Tuesday, January 26, 2010

a hit of nostalgia



As I was standing alone in my kitchen washing dishes tonight, I was hit by a sudden wave of nostalgia. I spent a year studying abroad in Italy during college, and one thing I miss very much about that year is my tight-knit group of friends, and our way of life there. I could walk across town to any one of their apartments within half an hour, and we took advantage of the small city and laid-back Italian lifestyle (and study-abroad curriculum) by inviting each other over for dinner fairly regularly, and cooking and eating together. Where else could I call up a few friends, and within hours have an apartment full of people eating tiramisu and enjoying each others' company, just because? Those were good times for certain.

I need to somehow get back to a place where I have more of that in my life. As much as I love Los Angeles, this city tends to make me feel quite disconnected from people much of the time. And, as we 'grow up' and work and get into various routines and schedules, it becomes increasingly difficult to see people on short notice. All I want to be able to do is invite people over for pancakes once in a while. Is that too much to ask?

2 comments:

byulgzr said...

i want pancakes!
man, i'm so tired. kids were crazy today. :(

andrea said...

let's do pancakes soon! wish we lived closer to each other :(